The goals of treatment are to resolve inflammation, reverse or slow the rate of disease progression, and restore function and quality of life. Based on the cause of ILD, treatments may include the following:
- Corticosteroids (prednisone)
- Immunosuppressive therapy
- Immunomodulator therapies
- Antibody treatment
- Antifibrotic therapy (expected availability)
- Other (intravenous immunoglobulin treatment)
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Oxygen therapy
- Treatment for the co-morbidities: CPAP for obstructive sleep apnea, medications for reflux; medications for pulmonary hypertension, may be considered
- Patients suffering from advanced ILD may also be referred for lung transplantation
- Palliative/Supportive Care
Because ILD can commonly involve co-morbidities (including obstructive sleep apnea, pulmonary embolism, osteoporosis, and pulmonary hypertension), we have a close and special association with experts in all specialties who are available to provide the most comprehensive care to our patients within our medical center.
Our program is also involved in patient education in ILD and is a site for clinical trials (studies of new treatments) in order to provide access to patients interested in participating.