About Your Stay
The Adult Program at Mount Sinai – National Jewish Health Respiratory Institute is a comprehensive, outpatient program that offers patients and their families a multidisciplinary approach to the evaluation and management of respiratory, infectious, allergic or immunologic disorders.
Our specially trained physicians develop individualized plans of care that reflect each patient’s need for physical assessment, respiratory therapy, medications, physical and occupational therapy, nutritional support and education.
- Special Needs: Here at Mount Sinai – National Jewish Health Respiratory Institute, we can accommodate patients with special needs, such as vision, hearing and oxygen needs, as well as interpretation or translation needs. Patients and their families requiring special needs should notify their Patient Administrative Coordinator during the preadmission process or by calling 212-241-5656 to notify us prior to the scheduled appointment.
- What to Expect During Your Stay: Patients who live outside the New York area are generally scheduled for a 4-7 day visit. This often requires you to stay over the weekend. In addition, two to three appointments with your treating physician as well as diagnostic testing, health education, specialty physician consultations and rehabilitation treatment may be scheduled. The clinic staff will provide you with a written schedule of appointments every day.
- Gift Shop: The Mount Sinai Gift Shop is located on the 7th floor East Atrium in the Guggenheim Pavilion. Operated by Lori’s Gifts, the shop offers a wide variety of gifts including fresh flowers, balloons, stuffed animals, jewelry, home décor items, candles, lotions, figurines, books and magazines.
- Cafeteria: Start your day off right with Mount Sinai Plaza Cafeteria’s full breakfast where you can find your traditional favorite hot foods or fresh pastries. On weekdays, a chef makes omelets to order with all your favorite ingredients. For lunch, they offer a variety of choices to please your palate. Choose from grilled juicy Angus burgers, delicious homemade comfort food, tasty sushi bar, yummy kosher section, custom made to order salads or take a trip south of the border and experience spicy tacos and famous burrito bowls.
- Plaza Cafeteria: Guggenheim Pavilion 1st floor Mon-Fri 6:30am-7:30pm Saturday, Sunday and holidays 7am-3pm
- Starbucks Coffee Bar: Annenberg Building west lobby Mon-Fri 6:30am-9:30pm Saturday, Sunday and holidays 7am-7pm
- Center for Science and Medicine Café: Hess Building main lobby Mon-Fri 7am-4pm
- Grab and Go: Center for Advanced Medicine Building main lobby Mon-Fri 8am-4pm
- Icahn Lobby Café: Icahn Building lobby Mon-Fri 8am-2pm
If you don’t have time to sit and eat, please grab a candy bar and a Snapple at any of our coin operated vending machines located throughout the hospital underground tunnel and outside the cafeteria.
You will receive the greatest benefit from your care at Mount Sinai – National Jewish Health Respiratory Institute by adhering to the following responsibilities:
- Please do not use perfumes or other strong-smelling personal products, such as colognes, lotions, bath oils, hair spray, etc. Strong odors may cause some patients to wheeze.
- Mount Sinai – National Jewish Health Respiratory Institute is a non-smoking facility. Please refrain from the use of all tobacco including, but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco, chew, snuff and dip. Patients, visitors and employees will not be able to use tobacco products on any properties owned, leased or managed by Mount Sinai, including buildings, grounds, sidewalks, parking lots and garages. The policy also applies to vehicles parked on hospital property.
- Be honest and direct about aspects of your life that relate to your illness and your experience as a patient. Those who are caring for you need to know your opinions and concerns so they can provide you with the best care possible.
- Participate in patient education sessions and ask questions to learn about your medical condition and your treatment plan.
- Report any changes in your health to your doctor or nurse.
- Keep your scheduled appointments. Be sure to notify your Patient Ambassador well in advance if you cannot keep an appointment.
- Know the medicines that you are taking as well as their purposes.
- Support Mount Sinai – National Jewish Health Respiratory Institute’s commitment to the education of future health professionals, including the specialized training of physicians. As in the teaching institute, patients receiving medical care in this hospital are an important part of this ongoing educational process.
- Keep track of your personal belongings and valuables.
- Keep informed about the hospital’s programs and policies through review of these patient orientation materials.